Sunday, September 21, 2008

Finally - back to the computer

I can't believe it's been 3 weeks since I updated this thing. I've been busy at work and at home.

Since my last post, I celebrated a birthday - a milestone that offers more senior discounts, etc. My friend bought me a wall hanging that is absolutely gorgeous. I saw it at the Knotty Shop and was immediately drawn to it. She drove back there the next week and bought it for me. It's a stainless steel oval shape, polished and shellacked, with a high sheen. Welded to it are two spruce trees, painted like the Northern lights. The 3-D effect is great. I absolutely love it. I hung it on the wall near my computer desk. There's a small lamp beneath it providing light on it, and it really looks beautiful. See the photo below.

We also had a deployment ceremony for the soldiers who are deploying to Iraq. We had 54 media reps - reporters, cameramen, producers, sound guys, etc. - attending, and since media relations is a big part of my job, it was a huge task. We're accustomed to our local reporters, anywhere from 3-6 people, so 54 was a lot to deal with. It went well, I presume all were happy since there were no complaints I'm aware of.

Now that the ceremony is over and things are returning to normal, we're spending the year-end money, with trips to Office Max and other places, visits to websites and e-mails to the Contracting folks to get the supplies and equipment we need. Since my office staff is growing to 8 people (up from 2 in May), we need quite a few items. I just have a few more things to buy, then will end that portion of the crunch.

With the end of the fiscal year on Sept. 30, I'll be diving straight into appraisals for the staff who've been on board since May. That's only 2 people, but I also need to do a self-assessment for this past year and a performance plan for next year on myself. It seems the paperwork is never-ending.

In addition to all that, meetings are piling up like the leaves in my yard. The good thing is, I now have more staff to take over some of the duties I used to do, and that leaves me time for the papers and the meetings.

We've tried to get out every weekend to enjoy the last bit of summer. I think it's over now. For the first time this fall my thermometer hit 32 degrees this morning. My flowers are still blooming beautifully, but the leaves are almost all off the birch trees in the yard. I'm glad I live in town, in a neighborhood that's not as cold as other places in the area.












1 comment:

Susan Stevenson said...

Happy Birthday to you!

What lovely wall art. It's beautiful!

I hope the snow holds off for awhile. I don't mind the frosty mornings, but I'm not ready for snow on the roads yet.

It sure is *quiet* on post and in town without our Stryker guys and gals here. I hope the year passes quickly for those families who are missing their soldier.