Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Fresh snow and white Christmas

I got up this morning to fresh snow, still falling. It's so white and fluffy - looks gorgeous on the trees and fence. The air (even in town) smelled fresh. My yard looked like a Christmas card, exactly what a white Christmas should look like.

I was very saddened this week by news of the beating death of Dan Frederick, a local businessman. I've met Dan numerous times, didn't know him really well, but enough to know he was a gentle man who loved animals and wouldn't hurt a soul. He was always very pleasant when I talked with him. It's a terrible thing, and has taken some of the goodwill feeling away from this season.

I've spent much of the day getting the final things done for tomorrow. Some friends are stopping by and my daughter and family will be in as well for a late light breakfast or early lunch. I am not cooking a huge dinner this year (yea!)

I made some ham salad and have rolls for sandwiches and will also have deviled eggs. I will wait until morning to make those. The Bailey's is all set for the coffee, and my daughter is to bring some sticky buns. As everyone else is having a big dinner, that's all we're doing here.

I cleaned the living room and swept the floor. Buddy is not a fan of the vacuum. He was on the attack until he was between the recliner and the machine. He leaped onto the recliner and tried to jump to the easy chair right next to it. He missed the 18-or-so-inch jump and slid between the two chairs, but was immediately off the floor and on a chair. I had to stop the work to laugh - he was so brave until it cornered him at the recliner. When I stopped, he stayed on the chair barking out little "huffs" until the vacuum was out of sight. He's happy again.

I am looking forward to spending some time tomorrow with my daughter and her family. My 4-year-0ld granddaughter is such fun now. She delights me with her observations and her little-girl affection. She is full of enthusiasm (except for picking up toys) and is excited about the smallest things. I smile the entire time she's around.

I do wish I could be with other family members as well. I miss them all year, but especially at Thanksgiving and Christmas. My parents, sisters, brothers and assorted nieces and nephews will gather at my sister's house on Sunday and I'll call them. If I can't be there in person, I can call and feel a little closer.

I become very introspective this time of year, and often long for the "good old days." At age 8 or 10, we could walk safely from one end of our small town to the other, with no fears of kidnapping or other terrible fate. We left doors unlocked on houses and cars. We stopped to say hello to people on their porches or in their yards. There was a feeling of being safe that I believe our kids today don't have. I'm sad to see those days are gone, and sadder still that my daughter and grandchildren will never know them.

May you all have a wonderful holiday no matter what you celebrate and a happy, safe and healthy 2009. My prayer this year (as in past years) is for peace to begin spreading throughout the country and the world. I would love to see some of our military folks coming back and the deployments decrease. I would love to not have to read of more deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan. Perhaps it's naive, but we've prayed for world peace since I was a child. Maybe if we continue that prayer, one day it will come to us.

1 comment:

Susan Stevenson said...

Merry Christmas, Linda. Enjoy your family and your day! We'll be having a very quiet Christmas here too. I do plan to cook a big meal for just Steve and I, and then we're going to go for a drive to see all the Christmas lights.

Happy 2009 to you, too. I do hope our world has a little more peace in it next year.