Saturday, July 4, 2009

Summer is here - baseball & birds

Our summer is definitely here, and I've been trying to enjoy every spare minute, so have neglected this website pretty badly.

It's been sunny and warm (on occasion too warm - I don't like anything over 75, and we've been hitting 80+ for a few days), with enough rain to keep my flowers and zucchinis growing. I harvested my first 8-ball zucchini yesterday. I'm really looking forward to trying it to see if the taste is any different from the regular ones.


We've passed the summer solstice, and as usual I enjoyed the annual Midnight Sun Baseball game at the ballpark. The Alaska Goldpanners beat the Lake Erie Monarchs 6-3 on a cool night (I wore my jacket through the entire game). The game starts at 10:30 p.m. and is played entirely without artificial lights.

The shot below was taken at midnight. The X pattern on the photo is the safety net in front of my seat.


"Anthem Annie" has sung the National Anthem at every major-league ballpark. Here she prepares to sing the Alaska Flag Song at the inning break closest to midnight. It was a little after 12:00. Estimated attendance was about 4,000 spectators.


My bird feeders are very busy this summer. I've got the ever-present black-capped chickadees, dark-eyed juncos and white-crowned sparrows. This year, the redpolls stuck around. I usually see them in the winter, then they go somewhere else to spend the summer. I guess they really like the nyjer seed. I've also got some pine siskins. When I'm watching the birds enjoy the feast, I wish I lived in a more rural area (or at least a place with more trees). My yard is pleasant with a spruce tree and several birches, but I live in town and don't get the variety of birds that some of my friends see in less urban parts of the Fairbanks area. A few days ago, I had redpolls and pine siskins on the feeders and a squirrel on the ground in front of the door picking up the seeds the birds dropped. I have a small pile of wood there for use in the fireplace in the event the power (and furnace) goes out in the winter. The seeds fall onto and between the wood pieces and looked like a buffet for the squirrel. After I got the dog calmed down (the squirrel looked like a possible playmate and Buddy was pretty excited), I was able to stand in the entry and take several photos. They're a little soft because I was shooting through the screendoor.



The redpolls are so pretty with their bright red caps. They are voracious eaters and love the nyjer seed and flax seed. Every now and then they would stop eating to look down at the squirrel. They're accustomed to seeing Buddy in the doorway looking out the window, so he doesn't scare them away. They will come in if I'm in the doorway, but leave quickly if I move fast or open the door.



Today I'm off to the annual July 4th celebration in town, then maybe the ballpark (if it isn't too hot). Happy 4th everyone.




1 comment:

Susan Stevenson said...

I'm with you! This 80+ stuff is painful! *grin* I wish the birds would come back to my feeders. Ever since we put the lawn in (and all the activity in the yards) they disappeared. Hopefully fall and winter will bring them back.

Enjoy your summer!