Wednesday, August 5, 2009

lots of smoke

We've got wildfires burning and growing all around us. This morning the sun was almost blood red, filtered by the smoke. I jumped into the car to get somewhere I could get some photos of it without trees blocking it, but by the time I got into the car the smoke had completely obliterated the red ball.

My car was covered in big pieces of ash (and I just washed it last weekend!). This is my front bumper and a view of the windshield from inside the car.

Since I was already out, I decided to go over to Creamer's Field to see if there were any birds around. The smoke gave the place an eerie look and the sandhill cranes look almost ghostly.
I shot some fireweed, noticing it's close to topping off. The fair starts Friday, and kids go back to school the before the 20th. I can't believe summer's almost over already.


As I have a lot of leave I have to use up, I took this week off. I'm heading to the Farmers' Market in a few minutes to see what they have. I love their new potatoes and fresh tomatoes. Hopefully they'll have some other good stuff. I think when I get home I'll try some new recipes I saw on Food Network :) Though I can't smell the smoke, it still affects my breathing outdoors, so it's a good day to stay indoors and maybe get creative.
I'm hoping that by Friday the smoke will ease up so I can enjoy opening day at the fair.
Have a good day everyone.




No comments: