Monday, January 18, 2010

plodding along

I've been working hard at my attitude and (I think) gaining on it. Though I'm still tired of winter, it was so nice on Sunday to wake up to warmer temperatures. The -20 and colder left for a while and it was a huge difference in my outlook. Though I still don't have the initiative to go out with the camera, I'm really looking forward to doing that soon. Part of that is due to my health.

The doctor saw a rise in my A1C numbers over the past year and has prescribed yet another diabetes pill. The side effects are headache, fatigue and on one occasion low blood sugar on the edge of dangerous. I have to test my glucose levels much more often than before I started taking it.

Because of this I've been doing tons of research on diabetes-friendly foods and preparing healthy meals. Since I live alone (except for the little dog) I don't cook a lot during the week. I make something on the weekends that can be stretched into several meals with a little variety. As today is a holiday, I'm making two main dishes this weekend. I roasted a lean piece of beef yesterday and today I'm roasting a chicken, minus its skin. I will make chef's salad with some of the chicken and some new beef dishes I found online. All are within American Diabetes Association recommendations. I've also started an online food diary. It keeps track of calories, carbs, fats, sugars and a whole list of other nutritional values. I've been surprised at how few calories I've been eating - and just how quickly the carbs add up. Now if I can just see a difference in A1C levels and in weight. I suspect the weight will be tough, as I'm built just like my grandmothers.



Though genes do figure into our make-up, I am trying hard to lose some of the weight. That should also help the diabetes.

I'm not a lover of green salads, especially in the winter here when produce is flown in from all over the place and is not necessarily either fresh or tasty. However, I'm hunkering down and buying greens, tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers to make my own salads. I find the different textures, colors and tastes make the salads much more appealing. Occasionally I'll add a couple strips of chicken (as in this week) or beef to snazz it up a bit. I also found a recipe for a chicken-potato salad made with yogurt instead of mayo. I'll give it a try and see how it is.

We're getting a little light snow right now and the thermometer says 4 below. It's not too bad. The mid-winter slump is slowly making its way toward break-up and colors. I'm looking forward to it.

My mother has returned home from the hospital and doing well. Two therapists come to the house several times a week to work with her movements. Although it's uncomfortable, I think she's handling it well. Like me, she's not particularly patient when it comes to wanting things done. She doesn't like asking others to do things for her and is very eager to be able to do a lot again. We've all told her she needs to take it slow and give the shoulder time to heal. She understands that, but doesn't like it.

I'm working at my genealogy and making all sorts of plans for short trips in the state for this spring and summer. It all helps pass the time until the monochrome period is over and our senses are hit with color again.

No comments: