Saturday, July 14, 2012

Moose, flowers - summer in Fairbanks

We've had some beautiful mornings lately, mixed in with some clouds.

Several mornings I opt to drive the back road to work. I go in early (about 5 a.m.) for my 6:30 a.m. start time. I take my time, stopping frequently to listen to birdsong or look at flowers. The camera is turned on so I can grab and shoot. And regardless of how many people tell me - and how many times I've heard it - I DO shoot through the windshield, as in these photos.


As I came down the road Monday, this guy was standing dead center in the road. He stood and looked at me for a minute or so, then slowly strolled off into the trees.

His buddy was eating on the right side of the road and didn't pay the least bit of attention to me for about two minutes. Then he too watched me for a short while before following his friend into the trees on the left.


It's always a treat to see them. These two were both relatively small, with small paddles. I'm guessing they were kicked out by mom as she perhaps had a younger one or two to care for.




Thursday was another nice day, so I thought it was a good time to do a relaxing drive again. This time, while I watched for moose, I was more focused on the wildflowers growing along the roadside.

As I took photos of flowers on the left, I caught movement on a huge dirt pile on the right. I whipped my head around to see a cross fox running up the pile. He was a good size, looked as though he was eating well. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to focus on him in part because of the door frame. However, he left me with a very peaceful and happy feeling. My dad loved foxes, and I don't see them often. So when I do see one, my thoughts automatically go to Dad. I wonder if he sent this guy to me that morning.

The wild irises have pretty much gone to seed now, but there are other flowers that brighten up the drive. 


 Fireweed is my very favorite. I love it - either alone or in a big patch.

Wild rhubarb - it looks incredibly graceful standing by the side of the road. And it can be used for drinks, or eaten or as an astringent. 






This is one of my favorites. The colors of the fireweed and vetch look so pretty with the green background. Even though it's an invasive plant not native to Alaska, the vetch adds some very nice color.














Last weekend my friend Mae and I drove out to Chatanika. I had to post a photo of the cows we saw at the historic Chatanika Gold Camp. Unfortunately, the place is no longer open and is for sale. We've had some very good brunches and lunches there.

We don't know who put them there, but there were four or five of them in the grass. Better than pink flamingos in my opinion. 





It's been warm here, but not unbearably so. I've seen a few baseball games, enjoyed the flowers and wildlife. 

There's nothing to compare to Fairbanks in the summer.






No comments: