Saturday, April 19, 2014

Arizona part 1 - baseball

Say "Arizona" to me and the first thought that pops into my mind is baseball. It's my favorite game and I love sitting in the park watching the games and the people. Every March the major league teams gather in either Florida or the Phoenix area for Spring Training. (I have not been to the Florida - or Grapefruit League - training.) Fifteen teams form the Cactus League and they all play in the greater Phoenix area. To me there's nothing better than leaving the still cold and snowy Alaska to spend some time in a baseball park, basking in the warm sun and watching some major league baseball with good friends.

Early last winter (you have to plan early to get good tickets) my friend Bonnie asked if I wanted to go to Spring Training. I jumped at the chance. In fact, I had planned my retirement for March 31, but when I found out a request for 2 weeks leave that close to retirement might not be approved, I moved my retirement date to Feb. 28. The trip would be my retirement present to me.

I arrived at the Phoenix airport about 10:30 a.m. on March 17 and Bonnie and her husband Junior were waiting for me near the baggage claim. They had arrived on the 16th and went to a game that afternoon. Over the course of the week, I saw 8 games in 5 days. Three of the days we had both afternoon and evening games.

We stayed at a Residence Inn. Their courtyard was a perfect place for morning coffee at 6 a.m. I certainly didn't miss the snow!



We saw a few games that were runaways, with lopsided scores. We saw some very close games and some that were reversals, when a team with a good lead lost the game in the closing innings. We saw some very well-executed double plays, some home runs, close calls. We saw some great baseball. Even though a couple of days were scorching hot, there's still no place I would rather have been.

Here are a few shots from the games:










 
 
 
 
 
 

 
We had a wonderful time, enjoying the games, talking with former major league stars and I was able to chat with Bryan Price, manager of the Cincinnati Reds, briefly. Bryan played summer ball in Fairbanks when he was a college pitcher. It was good to see him.
 
 
 

 
While I hated to see the week end, we had big plans for the following week as well. So we regretfully said goodbye to Phoenix and headed north for our next stop at the Grand Canyon - a major item on my bucket list. My next update will cover that portion of the trip.
 
The boys of summer are back! 
 
 

No comments: