Saturday, June 21, 2008

Buddies

Paco captured my heart in the spring of 1998, when the Fairbanks North Star Borough Animal Shelter held an open house. My cat had died the previous fall and I was alone in my house.

On a whim, I decided to visit the open house. I spotted a little apricot poodle mix (the vet later told me he was poodle, cocker spaniel and some kind of terrier) at the back of a cage. When I approached, he rushed to the door, trembling with excitement. I noted the cage number and informed the staff I wanted him. It appeared he was not meant for me - he had already been spoken for, and his new family would pick him later that day. I went home without a pet.

But those brief minutes with that little dog left me wanting more. I checked with the shelter a week later to see if there were any small dogs. And there he was again. It appeared he didn't work out for the other family. He was nearing his limit at the shelter and staff members took him home several nights to delay the inevitable euthanization. He went home with me that night.

Paco's age was estimated to be between 4 and 6 years. He was a sweet little dog who loved unconditionally. He made me laugh and when I was sick he licked my hand to offer comfort.



I lost Paco April 10, 2008, after about a year of declining health. I was devastated, but two things helped me work through my grief: I was home when he died so he didn't die alone, and he's now at Rainbow Bridge ( http://rainbowbridge.org/) with his hearing restored and no longer suffering pain and confusion.

He was my buddy for 10 years and I miss him terribly.

Enter Cordaroy. After two months of grieving (I cried when I drove through the carwash the first time without Paco), I realized yesterday after an errand run that my house was too empty. There was no one greeting me when I walked in the door, and no one to go to the yard with.

That meant there was one more errand to run - to the shelter. They had only one small dog, a terrier mix - possibly Scottie and schnauzer, according to the vet. I was told he is good with children, one of my requirements because of my granddaughter's visits.

I brought him home. He's as different in appearance from Paco as I can imagine in a small dog. He had coarse straight coal-black hair and his eyes are such a light brown they almost look golden.
He has an exuberance that's hard to match and a friendly personality. When we met in the visiting room at the shelter, he licked my ear and face frantically. He is a jumper, leaping into the air when he's excited. He's three years old and in very good health.

I didn't like the name Cordaroy (their spelling, not mine), and he didn't respond to it in any case. Nor did he respond to Cord or Roy. I've been calling him Buddy since we left the shelter, so I think he'll be seeing a name change.



I think Buddy and I will be just fine. We've been having some good bonding time yesterday and today. I'm very happy to have him here.






1 comment:

Susan said...

Such a wonderful post. Your furry loves are very lucky to have such a great Mom! I look forward to more pictures of your newest addition!