Wednesday, June 18, 2008

New link and "the eye"


I've just added a link to my site, to Susan Stevenson's website. Susan and her husband came to Alaska with the Army and decided to stay here when he retired.

Her site is filled with chatty, descriptive details of her activities in Alaska and some of the most spectacular photos I've ever seen. Susan truly has "the eye," an inner talent for instinctively knowing that a particular item or scene will make a pleasing photo. Sadly, I do not have "the eye." I have to think about framing and composing, and even then I don't always get the results I want. Frequently I see something that only allows me enough time to simply aim the camera and press the button. Occasionally I'm surprised with my results and congratulate myself on a good photo. Other times, I can only credit simple dumb luck and/or good timing.


The fox was a denizen of McKinley Chalet Resort at Denali National Park. Apparently she wandered around the property looking for food. A ham and cheese sandwich was lying on the bench right next to my knee when I shot this photo, and she kept her eye on it, not at all shy about me standing there. The sandwich apparently came from an overflowing trash container next to the bench. The timing on this was perfect, as my friend and I arrived at the shuttle-bus stop at the same time the fox arrived for her sandwich.


I do hope you will visit Susan's website. I love looking at her photos and reading about her travels around the state. Her informal style of journaling makes me feel that I'm visiting a friend.
















1 comment:

Susan Stevenson said...

How awesome that you had such a fantastic close encounter with a fox! The only photos I've gotten of these beauties is hanging out the window of a Denali tour bus! Lucky you!

Thank you for your very sweet words about my blog and photography. I tell everyone that it's difficult to get a bad photo when you live in such a glorious place.

Photography should make YOU happy first and foremost. That's the most important thing of all.