Sunday, June 26, 2011

Dad, family

I received word Friday that my dad in PA had suffered a heart attack, so spent a restless night waiting for word. He had been doing some work outside the house and started to suffer extreme shortness of breath and profuse sweating. Fortunately, my niece - who's a CNA - was there and knew just what to do. She gave him piece of an aspirin and convinced him to get to a hospital.

He underwent surgery Saturday morning and today was sitting in a chair, off the respirator. He's still on oxygen and very weak, but coming along as expected.

It's hard to think of my parents as getting older. I don't get down there as often as I'd like and the changes I see in them when I do visit seem drastic. My mother seems to have shrunk. She seems frailer and smaller than a few years ago. She has suffered several broken bones in the past two years, one the ball of her left shoulder and the other - just last month - her right wrist.

My dad also seems smaller, and has started moving much more slowly than he did just a few years ago.

I always counted on their strength and can see it waning now. I hate being this far away from them. I was planning a trip down to see them in October, part flying and part Amtrak. I've now shelved the Amtrak trip and will fly down earlier. I want to wait until he's released from the hospital and rehab, so am waiting to hear what will be a good time to get there.


They raised six kids in rural Pennsylvania. We lived a simple life, growing up in the country. They taught us ethics, how to live a good and moral life. Mother taught us how to cook, clean and take care of each other. Dad taught us about nature through walks in the woods just across the yard. We had walnut trees, raspberry bushes and cherry trees just outside the door. We ate game - rabbit, squirrel and venison, among others, that Dad shot. We fished and swam in the Susquehanna River just across the highway.

I miss that simple life now, and especially miss being near all of my family. It will be good to see them all again.



1 comment:

Susan Stevenson said...

I'm sorry to hear about your dad. I know how scary and sad it can be to live so far from family when something terrible happens or they need us.

I'm keeping your dad, and your family, in my thoughts.